The National Home Builders
Association (NHBA) has been saying since the COVID-19 virus first began to
ravage the economy, that it might be housing that would drive the eventual
recovery. Now they have some real evidence.

The record setting 32.9 percent
second quarter decline in the gross domestic product (GDP) revealed on Thursday
had at least one bright spot. NAHB’s chief economist Robert Dietz says the
share of residential related economic activity reached its highest mark since
the third quarter of 2007, increasing to 16.2 percent during the otherwise
dismal quarter. Part of the reason for the growing share, of course, was the
weakness of other sectors, and the residential fixed investment share held at
3.3 percent of GDP.

 

 

Housing contributes to GDP in two
basic ways. The first, residential fixed investment (RFI), is the measure of
the home building, multifamily development, and remodeling contributions to
the economy.
It includes construction of new single-family and multifamily
structures, residential remodeling, production of manufactured homes and
brokers’ fees. The second is the measure of housing services, which includes
gross rents (including utilities) paid by renters, and owners’ imputed rent (an
estimate of how much it would cost to rent owner-occupied units) and utility
payments. Imputed rent is necessary from a national income accounting approach,
because without this measure, any increase in homeownership would lower GDP.

The 3.3 percent share of GDP
represented by RFI represented a $564 billion seasonally adjusted annual pace.
This was down from the first quarter, which recorded a post-Great Recession
high pace of $638 billion. Housing services represented 12.9 percent of the
economy or $2.2 trillion on seasonally adjusted annual basis. These together
accounted for the 16.2 percent share.

Dietz says that the RFI has
historically averaged roughly 5 percent of GDP and housing services 12 to 13
percent, for a combined average 17 to 18 percent share. This tends to vary over
the business cycle, however it lagged during the post-Great Recession period
due to underbuilding, particularly for the single-family sector.

Housing gains will continue as the
consequences of the virus crisis are likely to lead to a reversal for declining
tends in home size and a greater need for additional home office space
, Dietz
says.  This, along with low mortgage
rates, and lack of for-sale inventory will give home building and remodeling a demand-side
potential. Given the widespread impact that construction has on the economy in
terms of jobs and state and local tax revenue, “housing will lead the economic
recovery.”  

By Jann Swanson , dated 2020-08-03 10:40:37

Source link

Courtesy of Mortgage News Daily

Leave a Reply